Thursday, May 31, 2012

Meal plans

When I 1st got married and was working full time I'd get home at 5 and THEN think "oh, what are we going to have for dinner" BUT who cared if we ate at 7pm? we had no kids!!

Once Sophie started eating 3 square meals a day I was still struggling. It wasn't until Grace was born or just after that in order to keep my sanity I NEEDED TO MEAL PLAN. I hated it at 1st....seemed to take like 2 hours just to pick a few meals for the week. I gave up...re-started, gave up. UNTIL finally I just incorporated it into my life and normal routine.



We don't have a ton of money so we have a monthly budget and I stick to it like glue. I also like budgets and following them. My goal every week is to spend under $100 on groceries $80 is ideal.
 I must say there are some months where you run out of EVERYTHING?..right...like toilet paper, paper towel, baby wipes, olive oil...all the big things BUT when I know its getting low I actually make an effort to spend less the weeks before just to compensate.

Meal planning has REALLY saved us!
The 1st thing I do is check out our pantry and the overflow pantry under the stairs that never gets looked at. THEN I start dinners from there. I try to alternate meats each night, and also have a vegetarian dish and a breakfast for dinner each week.

I think of meals that we have the majority of the ingredients for first. I may just need a packet of seasoning OR some cilantro to complete the dish.
I've started now at the end of the week LOVING how empty our pantry or fridge looks..lol..
I remember 1st being married having a FULL pantry and fridge and still NOTHING to make a dinner!


Sound familiar!!??

I actually NOW look forward to meal planning every week and learning new ways to stretch our $$ and still eat really healthy without pre-packaged or easy convenience food. After all I need to remember I need to be teaching 3 GIRLS how to cook and feel comfortable in the kitchen. A skill my mom helped with me with and my grandma helped me with. I still call my mom and ask......"What is the families special chocolate chip cookie recipe AGAIN"?...lol..
I write it down then loose the sticky note! Oh dear


Anyways!! Its a rainy/cold fallish day here....even though tomorrow is JUNE 1ST!!!! GAH!!!
I'm making homemade tortellini and meatball soup! Mmmmmmmm.
Already excited to eat!!


Have a great awesome fabulous day everyone! Make it count. Smile at people, help an old grandma with her bag, encourage someone on the phone or in a message!
Enjoy
LOVE LOVE
Jen

1 comment:

  1. Where do you find your recipes??? I always have a hard time finding different things that i will like and that are on the lower fat side...I usually go to Skinnytaste.com, but am trying to find other places as well...

    ReplyDelete