This article was shared all over facebook last week.
http://wellfesto.com/2013/11/19/10-things-i-want-my-daughter-to-know-about-working-out/
I need to say FIRST off that I loved this article. I also agree with everything she says. I"m not sure if this lady has EVER been overweight or obese in her life.
The first paragraph punched me in the stomach.
WHEN I first started working out fitting into that "cute dress", wearing summer clothes and not covering my arms were TOP on the list. SORRY! I wanted so badly to finally feel good in clothes. I hated always feeling like the "big one" (sorry, just the truth), I hated I couldn't shop at the majority of the stores. HATED it.......
So when she said she "Mentally checked out" when the instructor mentioned fitting into a dress, and she couldn't get her 3 year old out of her mind....wowsers.....
I'm sorry BUT if she is an instructor she should know that everyone has different goals/aspirations/dreams and what if I read this article when I was 70 pounds heavier? I would feel so badly, so discouraged, and start to "over think, really WHY? I was losing the weight"??? Or that I was being so "vain" about focusing on feeling good in clothes and not taking into consideration my three daughters body issues??
Let me tell you right now. ITS IS OK to want to fit into that cute little Christmas dress. IT is ok to have a goal for your vacation/wedding/competition...blah blah.
Nothing wrong with that.
I also had NO idea all the extra benefits of exercise I would receive. It totally isn't about the numbers and the dress size BUT I wouldn't have know this UNTIL I actually did something about it. I never felt in my life powerful, unstoppable, conquering fears, able to push myself to the extreme to achieve a goal, the ability to TAKE control of what I eat 100% and make great choices.
BUT.....IT ALL STARTED with just wanting to feel stunning in a really cute sparkly NO sleeve dress!! Feel pretty in a summer spaghetti strap dress. That maybe I could really do this? Maybe? I'll start tomorrow........
BUT I actually started.
I am continuously thankful for all the deep dark moments in my life. Because of these moments I have been able to relate to many. I never want to forget how I felt being overweight. The struggles, mentally, physically and along the journey SOOOO many emotions coming up.
Lord let me never forget how I felt and where I've come from. EVER. Let me help,teach and listen to others.
I'm just writing the other side.
I truly loved this article and all that it stood for and CLEARLY I won't be discussing with my 13 year old about fitting into her dresses or any clothes for that matter. I will be showing my girls how a healthy lifestyle looks like, talks like, walks like and LIVES like!!!!
Hope all this makes sense as I quickly typed this out. There are two sides to everything.
Have a great evening.
LOVE LOVE
Jen

Well said Jen. I am fortunate to have known you from both sides of the other sides and before there were ever such things as this side and that side. Nine tacos later and a whole bunch of wardrobes in between, you are the best and amazing friend, sister, pal, snap crackle pop, zig zag club, and childhood locket, I could have ever imagined. Who would think doing cartwheels in clown costumes on 182nd would one day beboot-camping it out? Super great friend. Keep it upward and onward!
ReplyDeleteHAHAH! Jamie. Or what about..... "I"ll have 6 Hot dogs please!!" WHAT thats not normal? OR 4 bowls of cereal in the morning OR 6-8 pieces of pizza. AHAHAHH!!
ReplyDeleteNOW i know why our parents drank......lol.....