Oh man! Before I started eating well, I used to LIVE TO EAT. Seriously. I love food (still do) but I would just eat without thinking because it tasted SO GOOD! I would eat just because.
LOOK, I'm not an expert in the LEAST. I do know however, that what I put into my body before a run completely affects the results. I'm either full of energy and able to push myself OR I'm a SLUG with legs that weigh 10 tons each. Its actually incredible.
When Ryan and I hiked the West Coast Trail a few years into getting married I really understood this. The West Coast Trail is a 75km hike along the west coast of Vancouver Island. Its a grueling trek. My pack weighed 70lbs and away we went. It was the hardest thing physically I've ever had to do. I've done hard hikes but this one was about ENDURANCE. Being able to push hard for 8-10 hours a DAY? Just to finally make it to your camp. Set up quickly before dusk, eat, and off to bed. Only to be up early because you need to get past a certain part before you get trapped when the tide comes in...GAH!
We had to make REALLY smart choices with our food as we needed to fuel our body for a day of intensity. You have no choice. They won't rescue you unless you break a bone or die. Its no laughing matter. We ate the BEST food and after those 7 days BOY our bodies felt like well oiled machines. Incredible.
It was then I really realized I wasn't eating just to have energy for the day. I was eating out of EMOTION/feelings/circumstances. Feeling bad about the day? Ohhh...I need some nachos. Stressed over something? Lets order a pizza and eat ourselves into coma's...TRUE story peeps. I think because we live in a world where food is in abundance we don't ever feel like we will go without a single morsel EVER. And why would we eat some homemade food when we could eat out and get something REALLY yummy.....*we were so bad*
This 12 weeks has changed how I look at food. For the good. I eat now to fuel my body. You all know I like a good binge *chicken strips, fake cheese, nachos, poutine* you get the point. When these next few days of the weight loss challenge are done I'm not going to just STOP. I'm going to continue on what I'm doing and figure out what works best for me. I will not deprive myself of the food I love....I just won't eat 2 plates of it...bhahhaha!!
My next goal? I dunno....enter in a race *probably*, I'd like to start really leaning out and getting defined muscles now that some of the fat layer is gone. Who knows...all I know is this has been a learning process and in 12 short weeks I've completely changed how I look at food. For me that is probably one of the most exciting things. I'm proud of myself
So I have a few days left for the challenge....EEEPPPSS! Nervous and excited at the same time. The AWESOME gal who is neck and neck with me deserves this so much. She's worked her butt off. So have I ...so we'll see. This past week I've just kept with my regular routine but added in a few dietary changes (mostly water) and I'm excited. Although, I 'm getting my "special friend" next week which means a little extra bloat and blahness....Grrrr! GREAT TIMING!! Meh, ready to rock it :)
Gotta run
LOVE LOVE
Jen
We had to make REALLY smart choices with our food as we needed to fuel our body for a day of intensity. You have no choice. They won't rescue you unless you break a bone or die. Its no laughing matter. We ate the BEST food and after those 7 days BOY our bodies felt like well oiled machines. Incredible.
It was then I really realized I wasn't eating just to have energy for the day. I was eating out of EMOTION/feelings/circumstances. Feeling bad about the day? Ohhh...I need some nachos. Stressed over something? Lets order a pizza and eat ourselves into coma's...TRUE story peeps. I think because we live in a world where food is in abundance we don't ever feel like we will go without a single morsel EVER. And why would we eat some homemade food when we could eat out and get something REALLY yummy.....*we were so bad*
This 12 weeks has changed how I look at food. For the good. I eat now to fuel my body. You all know I like a good binge *chicken strips, fake cheese, nachos, poutine* you get the point. When these next few days of the weight loss challenge are done I'm not going to just STOP. I'm going to continue on what I'm doing and figure out what works best for me. I will not deprive myself of the food I love....I just won't eat 2 plates of it...bhahhaha!!
My next goal? I dunno....enter in a race *probably*, I'd like to start really leaning out and getting defined muscles now that some of the fat layer is gone. Who knows...all I know is this has been a learning process and in 12 short weeks I've completely changed how I look at food. For me that is probably one of the most exciting things. I'm proud of myself
So I have a few days left for the challenge....EEEPPPSS! Nervous and excited at the same time. The AWESOME gal who is neck and neck with me deserves this so much. She's worked her butt off. So have I ...so we'll see. This past week I've just kept with my regular routine but added in a few dietary changes (mostly water) and I'm excited. Although, I 'm getting my "special friend" next week which means a little extra bloat and blahness....Grrrr! GREAT TIMING!! Meh, ready to rock it :)
Gotta run
LOVE LOVE
Jen

Easy on the water Jen!
ReplyDelete