Monday, October 15, 2012

Backseat Teaching


I am beyond thankful to be able to carpool with another awesome family Monday - Friday. Such a blessing. I do the drop off as the other mom leaves for work early and she picks up Sophie when she's off work. Hope is able to actually have an afternoon nap, which all you mom's out there know how crucial that 2nd nap is to get you and the kid through the rest of the day until dinner. Without that nap its like Chinese water torture. The slow whine....allllllll afternoon looooonnnnnnngggggg. Please just take my eye balls out of my head.

At 7:50 every morning I have 5 kids to get out the door. And a dog named Stash.
Now, I am as organized as it gets BUT I must say 5 can get crazy if you don't keep the stress level down.
They are really good kids BUT they are also friends with my girls so you can imagine the noise level. I'm talking bleeding ears people.

We have our routine where we listen to "Ice cream and cake" "Its peanut butter jelly time" and car dance as crazy as we can. THEN we listen to Sky (the vbs c.d) Then as we pull in I pray for all the kids and their day. Its cool. This routine is about 13 minutes.

Although we have our routine we have had the BEST conversations in the vehicle. Anything from bullying ( as the grade 2 girl I drive was having problems...so upsetting), to kindness, how your stomach works, different families, how to spell courageous, counting to 200, how vegetables are made?( that was tricky)..lol... I realized the other day how important those seemingly mindless drives are.

I enjoy driving. The non movement, the sipping coffee, the fact that everyone is restrained in a seat...Bahahah!
Instead of zoning out I'm going to try to stay engaged in those conversations. Its only 13 minutes. I think if I can keep those lines of communication open then that will be huge. I remember as a kid talking about things that I was nervous about telling my mom and dad in the van more easily as I wasn't face to face with eye contact.
Think about you next drive with your kids. What can you talk about? teach them?

We drive a whole lot. We might as well make use of that time. AFTER dancing and singing at the top of your lungs to Mariah Carey...Oh, Ooooppss...that's me all the time :)

Enjoy the topics.
Have a great day
LOVE LOVE
Jen

P.S....here is my meal plan for the week for those asking :

-  White sauce chicken Lasagna (easy peasy as its swimming lesson day)
- Stuffed chicken boobs with ricotta and basil, rice pilaf and broccoli
- Lasagna, gbread and salad ( making 2 batches..one for a friend)
- Lentil soup
- LEFT overs (hate WASTE)
- Breakfast for dinner



No comments:

Post a Comment